The colder weather brings on an excitement for the holiday season, thick sweaters, fuzzy socks, and yummy food. And now that’s it’s FINALLY cooling down in Texas, I’ve diving right in.
I wasted no time in whipping out my favorite fall recipes and unloaded my loaded potato and carrot soup recipe. I’ve made it for myself multiple times but have recently introduced it on a few occasions for friends and family and it’s definitely a crowd favorite.
PLAN A NIGHT IN! –
Fireplace on, glass of wine, delicious soup and some great music to dance to.
Before you get into cooking, be sure to cue up some fun tunes to listen to. I have a lot of great memories of cooking with friends and family while singing along and busting a move on kitchen floor.
Check out and follow the MUSIC TO… GROOVE TO playlist on Spotify. What’s your favorite song to kitchen dance to?
TIME TO COOK!
What you’ll need:
- Crockpot (I use this 5-qt. Cooks crockpot that I purchased from JCPenny’s on Black Friday in 2015 for $12, did a $5 rebate, so basically scored a $7 crockpot. That’s how it’s done folks!
Ingredients- All items can be found at a neighborhood grocery store.
6 golden Yokon potatoes (peeled and diced)
3 tbs olive oil
6 carrots (diced)
1/2 yellow onion (diced)
2 garlic cloves
40oz chicken broth
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups of half & half
1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
6-8 strips of turkey bacon (cut up into small bits)
- (Approx. 30 mins prep time) Peel and dice carrots and potatoes. Dice yellow onion.
- Spray the inside of the crock pot with non-stick spray. Combine diced potatoes, chicken broth, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes in crock pot.
- In a skillet, saute the diced carrots in olive oil for 3-4 mins. Add in the onion and garlic cloves for an additional 2-3 mins or until onion is clear.
- Add in carrots, onion, and garlic mix to the crock pot mix.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or until the potatoes are soften.
- Using a potato masher, smash the diced potatoes and carrots down in the crock pot.
- Add in half & half and cheddar cheese. Stir until cheese has melted completely.
- Serve with bacon bits and shredded cheese on top.
- Eat up!