As the sun sets on 2017, I’ve ruffled through my memory, photo albums, and video archives from the past year to put it down on one post. I was fortunate to do a bit of traveling this year and experience new music and new venues that made this year incredible.
I’m so excited to share what’s made the highlights of my musical year so I’ve broken down my top 10 favorite tours of the year, top 10 favorite albums of 2017, and I’m sharing a few new discoveries I made along the way.
It was a rad year, take a look…
Favorite Tours of 2017
1) Bear’s Den with Gill Landry
Location: The Kessler Theater, Dallas, TX
It was my first time seeing Bear’s Den and Gill Landry after being a big fan for years from the Austin To Boston documentary. It was also my first time at The Kessler Theater and I really fell in love with this intimate venue. Desperate to return! Gill Landry is an incredible storyteller and Bear’s Den stage energy is infectious.
2) Panic! at the Disco with Misterwives
Location: Allen Event Center, Allen, TX
This concert was a fun trip down memory lane, all the way back to my middle school days. I love Panic!’s new music too and it was awesome finally catching Misterwives live as well! Just all around a great show and great crew to work with.
3) Glass Animals
Location: South Side Ballroom, Dallas, TX
This show was an exciting career marker for me as my first sell out show as lead marketer at work. It just made the show that more magical! Pineapple disco ball, watching the band play a parking lot soccer game pre-show, working with college label reps, and dancing to Gooey. Loved this night.
4) The 1975 with Pale Waves & Colouring
Location: Allen Event Center, Allen, TX
One of my favorite bands graced Dallas again this year, only a few months after their Black Friday show at South Side Ballroom. I had the opportunity to photograph the show as well which made it even more special. Having Matty Healy dance for my camera in such close proximity is something I’ll never forget. I will see this band as many times live as I can. Awesome support on this tour too. Definitely check out both Pale Waves and Colouring if you’re not familiar. Their careers are about to blow up. I was completely blind-sighted but ecstatic when my concert photos were picked up by the national Live Nation social media accounts to promote the tour. Icing on the cake.
5) Kings Of Leon
Location: Starplex Pavilion, Dallas, TX
I was basically dead on the floor hearing Pyro live for the first time. Caleb’s voice has such a unique and raspy texture, one of my favorite singers for sure. This was the first show of summer amphitheater season too so there was a special buzz and excitement in the air. I was able to assist with a meet & greet for this show and the Kings are sooooo pretty in person.
6) The xx
Location: Austin City Limits Festival, Austin, TX
I was lucky to see The xx twice this year, once in Dallas in May and then later this fall at ACL. Their performance at ACL was a weekend standout for me. The weather was perfect, breezy, good drinks, good vibes, good dancing with strangers surrounding us, and all around a magical show. The xx is such a genuinely kind live band and it was so cute to see how thankful they were for the crowd that was competing against Jay-Z’s set. They also played Jamie xx’s remix of On Hold, which was only a few weeks old at this point, and I went nuts.
7) U2 with Mumford & Sons
Location: CenturyLink Field, Seattle, WA
This show was a special trip for me and my momma! We spent Mother’s Day weekend traveling to Seattle for the first time, exploring the city, and then topping off Mother’s Day singing loudly to my favorite band, Mumford & Sons, and then rocking hard with our Irish boys, U2. It was great being in an open-air stadium for such a huge, magical, and unforgettable show. Even caught a glimpse of my favorite photographer, director, super human, Marcus Haney. We had such a special night and it was so great to share it with my mom.
8) Moon Taxi
Location: Granada Theater, Dallas, TX
This concert was my first time seeing Moon Taxi live after being a fan for a while now, and it was my first time at Granada Theater. I had the opportunity to photograph and review the show which was amazing. The crowd and spirit in the venue were alive and it was cool to have the whole room sing-along to Moon Taxi’s cover of Eagles, Hotel California. Special night full of firsts! The band even commented on my review, which made me absolutely giddy.
9) Katy Perry
Location: Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
My best friend Rachel and her husband are living in NYC now so I made a trip up to see them this September. Rachel and I planned a full weekend, capping it off with seeing Katy Perry at Madison Square Garden (big bucket list venue for me). When we got there, we entered a seat upgrade raffle and Rachel actually won! We were moved to the pit which was an incredible upgrade from where our seats were before. It was so much fun singing along to Katy’s biggest hits with my best friend, at a historical venue, in an amazing city, basically right next to Katy herself.
10) The Killers
Location: The O2 Arena, London, UK
The Killers are another band I actually caught twice this year, first headlining ACL and then second, on my trip to London. Seeing a show at The O2 Arena London was on my bucket list, so when my traveling buddy expressed an interest in the show as well, we were stoked to score tickets to one of their 2 sold out shows. I sang The Man as loud I as could (one of my favorite songs this year), and danced along to Mr. Brightside near a girl who resembled Barb from Stranger Things. Iconic venue, amazing band, and London. It doesn’t get better than that!
Favorite Albums of 2017
- Broken Machine– Nothing But Thieves
- Favorite songs: Particles, Sorry, I’m Not Made By Design
- You can read my album review here
- Dua Lipa– Dua Lipa
- Favorite songs: New Rules, Blow Your Mind (Mwah), Be The One
- Excited to see her live in Dallas this coming Feb 2 at South Side Ballroom
- From A Room: Volume 1– Chris Stapleton
- Favorite songs: I Was Wrong, Second One To Know, Death Row
- Snow– Angus & Julia Stone
- Favorite songs: Chateau, Cellar Door, Snow
- What Do You Think About The Car?– Declan McKenna
- Favorites songs: Isombard, Brazil, Humongous
- The Search For Everything– John Mayer
- Favorite songs: Still Feel Like Your Man, Love on the Weekend, Helpless
- Divide– Ed Sheeran
- Favorite songs: Castle On The Hill, Bibia Be Ye Ye, Nancy Mulligan
- You can read my full album review here
- As You Were– Liam Gallagher
- Favorite songs: Doesn’t Have To Be That Way, Wall Of Glass, Paper Crown
- Wonderful Wonderful– The Killers
- Favorite songs: The Man, Run For Cover, Out Of My Mind
- I See You– The xx
- Favorite songs: On Hold, I Dare You, Dangerous
- The On Hold remix by Jamie xx is soooo good, my favorite remix this year
My Favorite 2017 Discoveries
- BBC Radio 1– I have the BBC Radio iplayer app on my phone and listen every morning as I get ready for work. The jocks are hilarious and they are so into the music scene which is refreshing from most local stations I’ve grown up listening to. BBC Radio 1 is a great source for new music out of the UK particularly, but also from all over the world. My personal favorite DJs are Scott Mills and Chris Stark (listen every weekday morning, hilarious), Annie Mac (she’s the boss ass woman in music I aspire to be), and Benji B (I was literally drooling the first time I heard him on air talking about new music. So much passion surrounds his work, it really shows).
- Apple Cider- I’m not much of a beer drinker, except when I go to Ireland, ha, so I typically order a cider when I go out. This year I discovered Smith & Forge Hard Cider and Austin Eastciders Texas Honey Cider. These ciders have made drinking at concerts this year more enjoyable! I love apple cider and these are defiantly some of my favorites that are now always in my fridge.
- Gig Poster Gallery Walls– I’ve really been working towards a full gig poster wall in my office and I’m nearly there! I’ve been using Pinterest boards for inspiration while picking up gig posters at my favorite shows. I can typically find good deals on frames at Michaels/Hobby Lobby/Target. Looking forward to continuing to add to this over the years!
- Silent Discos– Experienced my first silent disco at Austin City Limits this year and LITERALLY had so much fun. I’ve known about them for a while now but never partook in one. Always a big advocate in trying new things, and this one turned out to be a great experience.
- Going To Concerts Alone– Scary thought. Doing this alone. But honestly, life is too short to miss out on things you love, so, freakin put on your big girl panties and do them! I enjoy reviewing and photographing bands so I attended a few shows alone this year (The 1975 with Pale Waves & Colouring, Moon Taxi, Bleachers, Alt-J with Marian Hill) and I’m so glad I did. The pictures turned out great and I actually heard from one of the bands about how they appreciated. Go out, don’t be afraid, and do things folks!
That’s it for me this year. Looking forward to more music and more amazing memories in 2018. Peace out 2017!
Have a cool memory, album or concert you experienced in 2017? Share it with me below in the comments.
Take a look back at My 2016: Year In Review